Friday. I am hoping to finish at/before 3:00 (though if any of you want to set up some time to work one-on-one on your project, I could do up until about 5). The plan is to touch on the following:
Part I
1. Check in on what we see as the focus for the book (my post is drafty writing - I am still in process on this - but it puts forward some writing) and how your work will fit in. I am thinking that it might also be an example of mediated ethnography - as well as an illustration of how a mediated ethnography can explore questions about online communities in new ways (where our question would be about ideologies/discourses that underlie/shape/are shaped by community practices).
2. Talk over what the computers and writing folks suggested in terms of working on our project.
3. As a follow-up on 1, look at the content-template, develop our list of how we want to use media in our ethnographic documentation, and maybe do some preliminary work on a media template.
Part 2
1. Talk about Leander's ideas about connective ethnography. We will focus on figuring out + making lists of data collection methods/theories that allow you to do ethnography that does not a priori ghetto-ize online identities, practices, and communities from material world life.
2. Use Burn's critical lenses to analyze a new media document (a course site with connected blogs for students).
- modification of Kress & Leeuwen's four strata: discourse, design, production, distribution + interpretation.
- analysis of semiotic metafunctions: representations of the world; communications among producer, texts, and audiences; organization as a process of composition that ensures coherence
- modes of representation (+ what is represented) = how design/written/spoken language is use to impart information, give instruction, construct dialog, create coherence
4. Talk about what to think about in Kendall's essay on interviewing.
No comments:
Post a Comment