Saturday, July 27, 2013

7.27 What we did at our meeting

In light of our discussion yesterday I have changed the project's title yet one more time (check out  the blog's new name - again) - and this time I think we are REALLY close - if not on target. 

What we did yesterday. 

Defining the field.  We started with discussion of the prospectus, which began with my presentation on the texts that served as a basis for the ideas we are developing.  I'm afraid that was sort of like a flash flood - with so many ideas whooshing by all at once that there may not have been time to take in all that I was saying.  I have been intensely immersed in reading "digital ethnographies"  - from all their various perspectives and I am pretty sure that trying to pull out what I found most important in a ten minute, more or less impromptu overview was probably not such a great idea.  So this post gives an in writing overview of changing definitions of "the field" and discusses what we started to talk over as a constructive ethnographic approach to a field for our project.

Defining an approach to analysis.  Discussion of New Literacy Studies use of Bourdieu and Jennifer Trainor's ethnography of racism at an all-white school as examples of ways we might look at our data.

New perspectives for multimodal ethnography:  changes in ethnographic narrative, practice, and relationships.  After this discussion we talked about some of the ways that multimodal ethnographic representation will change: ethnographers' relationships to participants and readers relationships to "reading" - among other things - and how practices for data collection and representation will need to change in light of those changes.  Much of this discussion was based in your experiences collecting data so far - and was wonderfully useful in helping me think about how to write the introductory section to the book (I think I need a new chapter!)  Some of this material is reviewed here.

Overview of book chapters. We then briefly reviewed the descriptions for your chapters - and I am hoping each of you will continue to work on what is posted there.  Please send/post revisions and I will keep an updated version of the over.  Luis indicated we will keep working on a title, Maria really needs to help me get up to speed on hers as I kind of just ran out of energy when I got to hers, Mark's has been added from his blog,  . . .? 


For next week:
We concluded with a discussion about what we wanted to do for the next meeting, and what you would be working on during the week.  The agenda includes:

  • "show & tell" - where you continue to collect data and will present what you have "so far" with particular attention to problems/questions (so that I can incorporate what you are running into in the introductory chapters! - this is almost like an ethnography of doing ethnography!)
  • go over/ask for references to frame your work (I am hoping to send each of you some possible sources- also, see sources on ethnography/multimodal ethnography posted here)
  • discuss the (revised) prospectus and provide feedback
  • review of updated overview of chapters
  • Check in with timeline to make sure we are on board for this "plan" (maybe each individual researcher should suggest a more personal version of this timeline - since eg Nikki & Joe will not really be creating their ethnographies until after the prospectus is reviewed - probably March).



No comments:

Post a Comment