Monday, May 27, 2013

5.27 New media features for ebook + next meeting (5.31)

I decided to write a second post = rather than continuing the last one, which was getting very long.

NEW MEDIA FEATURES FOR eBOOK
We reviewed the ways Transnational Literate Lives used new media - which included primarily pictures + videos (photos, excerpts from interviews with links to transcripts, student made videos that functions as exposition, excerpts from interviews + exposition => that are then analyzed in print like "quotes").

In our discussion, you added the following new media elements to this list:

google doc videos/chat "videos" (representations of evolving drafts or interactions that take place on screen)
screenshots (or animations of evolving representations as they unfold on the screen)
Skype videos
minidocumentaries
animations
static pictures with embedded audio (eg text or picture with voice-over analysis)

I think that pretty much sets it up the features we have in mind (so far).  The way I see it, the next thing to do is to talk through a kind of "template" = with the set of headings (+ styles to go with the headings) and the format for embedding new media "illustrations" when we choose to do so.  With that kind of a general picture for how our text will look - I think I can probably get what there is to get from the workshop - and certainly I can make appropriate contacts.

WHAT WE WILL DO MAY 31
We will read Leander's essay on "connective ethnographies of online/offline literacy networks & Burn's on researching multimodal texts.  You should receive more definite information concerning the readings in an email tomorrow.  I am also going to suggest that you look through John Swales' discussion of The Concept of a Discourse Community  This link is to a pdf from a WAW course that uses Downs + Wardle's text = and will work for us.  The whole essay is available at Eric.

Heather and some of the rest of you suggested that one thing that would be useful would be some collaborative walk-through in terms of analyzing texts.  As weird as this may sound, I am going to suggest that we apply the approaches framed by Burn as a way to analyze an academic space that is both online/offline, and that functions (in many ways) as a discourse community => ENG 3029.

I figured this would be useful since: 1) it would give us some practice (allow us to do some norming?) in terms of the kinds of questions we are going to ask of our data to characterize the various online communities we are studying, and 2) it will give us a chance to see some of the academic assumptions, values, and beliefs => in action and revealed through discourse analysis within an academic community (a class I taught last semester).

SHARED REFERENCES
I have also begun a google drive bibliography which I will invite you to share, some time on or before Friday.  These are the works I will be reading through, thinking about, as I set up the frame for our book.  I will invite each of you as authors - and am hoping you will add to the list as you do your own readings. 

I think that is about all I have been doing so far.

HOW TO USE THE BLOGS
I am hoping we can all use our blogs as places to store drafty writing.  In some ways blogs aren't very good for that - since they accumulate backwards and previous post lists can be annoying - but I am thinking maybe that is OK, and that just having written the posts - and having them to come back to = and possibly commenting on each others' posts as we read them?  I don't know what do you think? 






No comments:

Post a Comment